2nd Annual Confluence: Summit on the Outdoors
Sept. 22, 2017, Valdez civic center
Save the date and stay tuned for more details in March
What It's About. Confluence will answer the question: Can we create a statewide coalition of Alaskans to ensure outdoor recreation has a prominent voice in the ongoing conversations about Alaska's future?
Alaska is at a turning point. Alaskans are digging deep to consider what matters most as we contemplate new fiscal realities and discuss strategies for economic diversification and rural economic development. Two of Alaska's greatest riches are its natural resources and amazing landscapes. In short, Alaska is about energy: energy development and the energy of the people who were born here and those who visit and move here to realize the human potential of life lived among the wildness and the stunning flora and fauna of the mountains, rivers and seas of the Last Frontier.
Who's Invited. Be among the thought leaders to explore the issues and formulate strategies to awaken the sleeping economic giant that is found in Alaska's outdoors. This Summit is for elected officials, retailers, manufacturers, tourism boards and experience providers, trails and special use groups, public park and land managers, economists, educators and researchers.
Why You Should Attend.
• Outdoor recreation is an important though largely unrecognized economic driver in Alaska
- $9.5 billion in consumer spending
- 91,600 direct jobs
- $2.6 billion in wages and salaries
- $711 million in state and local tax revenue
• Outdoor Recreation touches our lives, our livelihoods, and our lifestyles in many ways
• Alaska's great outdoors frames our heritage, enriches our present and is a legacy for our children.